Education

The Neighborhood

The Terrell House, located at 326 T Street, N.W., Washington, DC, was willed to Howard University in 1951 and the University was to come into possession of it following the death of Terrell’s daughter, Phyllis Terrell Langston. The University took title to the property in 1998 and began planning for its rehabilitation as part of the award-winning LeDroit Park redevelopment initiative undertaken in partnership with Fannie Mae. Learn more about this cultrually rich area.

Mary Church Terrell and Judge Robert Heberton Terrell

Mrs. Terrell was a scholar who taught at the first public high school for black students in the United States, the M Street High School. She was appointed to one of the three seats on the District of Columbia Board of Education designated for women, was the first black woman in the nation to ever receive such an appointment, and served in that capacity for a total of six years. At this time in history it was atypical for people of color to be appointed to positions where they participated in formulating educational policy. Mary Church Terrell used her position to promote educational quality, to increase resources for the schools and to promote fair hiring throughout the system. Her pioneering efforts helped to lay the foundation for more inclusive practices in appointments to policymaking bodies of this type throughout the nation for women and people of color. Learn more about Mrs Terrell and her husband Judge Robert Heberton Terrell.